Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Happy Christmas to all

The evening smell outside is reminding me of my 15 years living in Nelson.  I am unsure what makes it different from Welly summer air after a hot day, perhaps it is being close to the sea and the stillness which I did not experience in Wellington living in the Northern suburbs then in the bush in Wilton.

It has been a very hot day here today, 33C on the deck, 28C in the house.  Definitely the perfect day for reading and pottering.  We have eaten simply, though my sister and nieces (I Skyped with them in Dunners) did not think asparagus and poached egg was appropriate Christmas Day lunch food.  We had rack of lamb, new potatoes and salad with rice pudding for dessert, slathered in raspberries and cream for dinner tonight.

Lunch (not hollandaise but shaved parmesan)

I have not had the energy to shop or bake for Xmasy food this year along with trying to be gluten free means we are not tempted to overeat!

Today in the heat I did think of my childhood holidays in Nelson when we made the marathon trip from Dunedin to stay with my grandparents.  After lunch on hot days we had enforced time on our beds, we did not have to sleep but could read or draw, then in the late afternoon we would head up the Matai for a,swim and afternoon tea with all the delights that were Christmas baking in our family, green square, German biscuits and choc orange cookes. I miss that tradition.

I have finally done a little sewing, here are some of the squares that I cut out at eight this morning.  They are now sitched and pressed.


1 comment: