Thursday, May 10, 2012

Food from my childhood

Twice  in the last fortnight  I have made "Little Brown Balls."  These were a lunch box or top off treat when I was growing up and I have been making them for about 47 years.  They were made long before I knew about brandy or rum truffles or other exotic chocolate balls.  In recent years there have been adaptations but the basic recipe is just as good.


Little Brown Balls

8 Weetbix, crushed (over the years the size has decreased and it is possible to add another one or two)
2 heaped tablespoons cocoa (dark Dutch cocoa is excellent)
1 can of sweetened condensed milk (lite is fine)
1 and half cups of sultanas
Mix all ingredients together well.
Roll walnut sized balls in desicated coconut (I tend to make them larger because I get tired of the process!)

These days I add up to about 2 cups of dried fruit, sultanas, chopped dried apricots, fruit cake mix, or currants, one or other or a mixture.

My sister sometimes adds a generous number of chocolate chips which makes them extra yummy.  I added about 3/4 cup to the the last batch I made.

 (I need to learn how to photograph food properly!)

1 comment: