Sunday, May 13, 2012

I need to learn and there is fear in the camp!

It is nearly 12 years since I gardened in Nelson and my memory has faded on how helpful a decent climate is to even the most challenged vege gardener. 

Growing veg amongst the native trees in Wilton and the wind swept hillside in Johnsonville was a mission, even with the finest compost and TLC.

As a result I have become sloppy with my distances between seedlings and planted quite closely much closer than the 40 to 50 cm commonly suggested.  Now even with it being autumn and pure sand beneath the compost my veges are growing so well  that I have a crowded patch and this is where the fear in the camp arrived.  I suggested we cook something with bok choi.  The response was "I feared we were going to have to eat those greens."

Will he develop a taste for fresh vegetables that come with the odd hole from a pukeko peck and consume homegrown with pleasure rather than seeing greens as a necessary evil.  The jury is still out.

And my lesson will be to follow the instructed planting distances between seedlings. 



1 comment: